Call for Application
“Kyoto – Africa IAfP Short-Term Online Course”
“Kyoto – Africa IAfP Short-Term Online Course” is currently accepting applications. The course provides “Individual Research Guidance” and “Joint Training.” The “Individual Research Guidance” offers African graduate students guidance on their research from the Kyoto University faculty members who have accepted them. The “Joint Training” sessions consist of lectures on African local knowledge, Japanese culture and language, and joint research presentations with Kyoto University graduate students.
Deadline for Applications: July 26, 2021 (Mon), 23:59 JST (JST=Japan Standard Time)
The course duration
September 21 – December 20, 2021
Credit approval A certificate will be issued by the IAfP program
(Participants will be accepted as short-term international students at Kyoto University).
Course opening ceremony: September 21 (Tue), 16:00 JST
Lectures and activities: September 22 (Wed) – December 19 (Sun)
Course completion ceremony: December 20 (Mon), 16:00 JST
【Details of the Program】
- “Individual Research Guidance” (to be provided by each academic advisor)
Graduate students from African countries will be matched with their own academic advisors (professors) at Kyoto University. Participants will attend academic advisors’ seminars and other activities related to research for about three months. The course will be implemented in a variety of formats, depending on the circumstances of each advisor, including individual tutoring, regular seminars with Japanese graduate students, and participation in other existing activities.
・Frequency: Approximately once every one or two weeks
・Considering time differences, meetings will mainly be held on weekdays, after 15:00 (JST).
- “Joint Training”
The IAfP Office will prepare a “Joint Training” for all participants. It will include events with the joint participation of African and Kyoto University graduate students to deepen exchanges between them:
・International conference (to be held in November, presenting course achievements)
・Lectures (to be coordinated with the ASAFAS intensive course on local knowledge and endogenous development)
・Japanese language classes
・Joint workshops with Japanese students
・Virtual tourism in Kyoto
【Number of Participants】
Approximately 10 participants
【Schedule for Application Procedure】[Closed]
- Call for application: July 5 (Mon)
- Deadline for applications: July 26 (Mon)
- Notification of acceptance: September 7 (Tue)
- Course duration: September 21 (Tue) – December 20 (Mon), 2021
【Required Documents to Apply】[Closed]
- Request for the Admission of a Short-Term International Student(Form 1, Please refer “Attachment 1” when you write Form 1), MS-Word file (doc, docx).
- Application form (Form 2, to be completed by the student), MS-Word file (doc, docx).
- Letter of recommendation (Form 3, to be completed by the supervisor within the African university)
- Transcript of Academic Records
- Documents that can prove the enrollment in a graduate school (copy of student ID, etc.)
- Photo of the candidate (.jpg or .png file)
- Photocopy of passport (copy of the page containing personal details including name, nationality, photo, and expiry date. If an applicant does not possess a passport, please send us alternative identification. An official certificate translated into English by a qualified person may be needed if the identification provided is not in English.)
*All documents should be scanned and submitted to the designated link(https://forms.gle/ncA9CSoJKoS3LUez9)
- Students are currently enrolled in a graduate program of African universities.
- An academic advisor’s recommendation from Kyoto University (professors listed on Attachment 2) is necessary.
【Note for Participants】
- A good understanding of lectures taught in English is needed (Japanese language skills are not required).
- Each student is expected to have a device and Internet access to participate in the class online (a personal computer with a camera, microphone, and speaker is desirable).
Most short-term programs will be held after 15:00, but some lectures (e.g., Basic Japanese language) may be held before 15:00.
- No tuition fees are required.
Files and Registration
- Form 1 “Request for the Admission” (.docx file)
- Form 2 “Application Form” (.docx file)
- Form 3 “Letter of Recommendation” (.docx file)
- Attachment 1 “List of Agreements with Kyoto University” (PDF file)
- Attachment 2 “List of possible research themes and countries with name of academic advisors” (PDF file)
Page for the “IAfP short-term course” students (It needs password to access)